Re: [Hampshire] Linux SPAM filtering

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux SPAM filtering
On Wed, 16 May 2007 at 12:19:21PM +0100, richard brooks wrote:
> Can anyone on this Linux group recommend a SPAM filter solution on Linux for
> multiple domains - we want to host a virtual Linux server - stream email
> from 10 domains through it, then pass the filtered email back to our
> seperate domains for further domain specific (keyword for example) cleaning
> before hiting the mail server for distribution - the servers may be MS
> Exchange or may be Send Mail - also one domain sends to Windows Mobile -
> but this is a POP system so no big deal - 3 of our domains receive up to
> 15,000 spams a day and the server overhead is a bit stupid so we want to
> pass this overhead over to a hosted solution on a virtual server - thanks
> for your advice in advance - Richard

On a Bytwmark VM machine I've just implemented the following:

App                Role        Reason
Exim            MTA            Debian default
procmail        MDA            I've used it before and it's easy
spamassassin    spam filter    It's very good
clamAV            AV filter    It's supposed to be good (+clamassassin)
Dovecot            IMAP/POP    It's fast, easy and secure

I'm running both SpamAssassin and ClamAV in daemon mode and I'm
using procmail to pass the email from Exim through the filters
before it arrives at it's final destination. Dovecot then distributes
the email to the end users email client via POPs or IMAPs.

Overall it just worked out of the box, each stage was just aptitude install
and it worked. Admittedly I'm not doing multiple domains, but for that
there is: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/140

* I've seen claims that maildrop is better/more secure than procmail.
* Though Exim is the Debian default MTA I find very few examples of it
when compared to Sendmail or Postfix.
* Not many people use Dovecot, though everything I've found suggests it
a lot better than the alternatives, and I've found it trivial
to install and configure.

I know people who get fancy and do stuff at the packet level and filter
bad email before it even talks to the MTA.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Considering the number of wheels Microsoft has found reason
to invent, one never ceases to be baffled by the minuscule
number whose shape even vaguely resembles a circle.
    -- anon, on Usenet