Re: [Hampshire] Linux SPAM filtering

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux SPAM filtering
> I'm running both SpamAssassin and ClamAV in daemon mode and I'm
> using procmail to pass the email from Exim through the filters
> before it arrives at it's final destination.

That means you've accepted the mail before you pass judgement on it; if it
then looks like spam, you either discard it (with the risk of losing mail
for false positives) or stick it in some sort of "spam" box (which means
all spam has to be human-read anyway).

Far better IMO to reject during the SMTP conversation.

> Admittedly I'm not doing multiple domains

Multiple domains really aren't any harder - you're just checking valid
email addresses.

> * Not many people use Dovecot, though everything I've found suggests it
> a lot better than the alternatives, and I've found it trivial
> to install and configure.

Dovecot is the standard for RHEL-based installations (and Fedora too, I
would imagine). There's very little actually needs configuring wiht it -
you just select mbox or maildir, and tell it which protocols to deal with
(pop3/pop3s/imap/imaps).

> I know people who get fancy and do stuff at the packet level and filter
> bad email before it even talks to the MTA.

iptables is your friend :-)

Vic.