Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57936100.hantslug.org.uk.22293': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon May 14 08:26:11 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 10:25:45AM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> I don't have any hal stuff installed so don't know if this would make
> any difference - I think hal is a gnomish thing and I detest gnome, I
> merely dislike KDE though it has its uses in the process of
> converting winusers to a proper OS since it "looks" familiar :-)

HAL is not a GNOME thing, it is a dynamic central repository of information
about the current hardware configuration. Other processes use D-BUS to monitor
changes in HAL, so they can mount devices, start programs etc. when hardware
is added or removed. udev is the kernel part which maintains devices in /dev,
creating new ones as necessary.

The upshot is that when you plug in a camera or ipod or whatever it's all set
up for you. And that's cool.

HTH,

Tony