Re: [Hampshire] Strange permission problem

Top Page
Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange permission problem

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56801100.hantslug.org.uk.4953': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon May 14 08:28:36 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 7920DB2171B98B64
On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 09:54:40AM +0100, Tim wrote:

> I have strange permission problem on digital pictures I upload from my camera
> to my ext.usb harddrive (formatted to fat32) which I use for Samba storage.
> My PC is running Mepis 6.5

<snip>
> I was able to view them with out a problem, unfortunately my wife was only
> able to see a small portition of the pictures (using PC with XP). On closer
> inspection the first 81 pictures had a different set of permission than the
> remaining 85. The permission on the first 81 was:
>
> -rwx-----

FAT32 doesn't support UNIX filesystem permissions, so what you're seeing does
not really represent what the filesystem understands. FAT32 also doesn't
support ownership of files or other clever things. Having said that, I can't
think why the XP machine can't see the files, unless they were marked as
hidden somehow.

Tony