Re: [Hampshire] Strange permission problem

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Strange permission problem
On Mon May 14 2007 08:39, Bob Dunlop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, May 13 at 09:54, Tim wrote:
>
> > remaining 85. The permission on the first 81 was:
> >
> > -rwx-----
> >
> > The permission for the remaining 85 had been set to
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x

> > This is not the first time I have uploaded pictures and the permissions
> > have been set at -rwx----- but this is the first time I have had it
> > happen to only half the pictures uploaded to the same folder at the same
> > time to the same place?
>
> Is it possible that the first files uploaded were overwritting existing
> files on the USB drive that already had the -rwx----- permissions set and
> later files were being created for the first time ?
>
> --
>         Bob Dunlop

Interesting point Bob, although the xdmedia card was empty before I started,
it might be worth formatting the card just incase something is lingering in
the depth of the card.

Regarding Tony's comments, while I accept the fat32 limitations, I have been
saving files from the camera to this disk for nearly two years and it is only
recently that it has started acting up. But as Tony says why were they not
seen but were viewable (I should point out that they were viewable on the
Linux machine) when I changed the permissions on the linux machine???

Tim