Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] DVD/CDROM problems with Ubuntu Feisty
On Mon, 14 May 2007 08:26:11 +0100
Tony Whitmore <tony@???> wrote:

> HAL is not a GNOME thing, it is a dynamic central repository of
> information about the current hardware configuration. Other
> processes use D-BUS to monitor changes in HAL, so they can mount
> devices, start programs etc. when hardware is added or removed.
> udev is the kernel part which maintains devices in /dev, creating
> new ones as necessary.

OK so I was wrong (not an unusual thing) about hal being related to
gnome.

> The upshot is that when you plug in a camera or ipod or whatever
> it's all set up for you. And that's cool.

if that is all it does I don't need it since I don't have anything
other than a usb memory thingy to plug in to a computer. It doesn't
seem to be part of the basic Debian installation which is why I don't
have it I guess since I only add things I really know about when
doing an install.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) with the GeneWeb genealogy package