[Hampshire] Village History Website

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Village History Website
Hello HantsLUGgers

I'm starting work on a project to create a history website for a local village. We have very limited funding from the AONB development fund and another similar source.

The plan is to put a considerable quantity (thousands, adding up to 10 -- 20 GB) of scanned documents, photos, maps, etc., along with explanatory text, onto the site. There will be a pilot phase with a small selection of the data.

Once I've set up the site, a few non-techie people will work on adding all the data. The data will then be freely viewable by the general public (although I'm guessing that there is a fairly small audience for this sort of local interest stuff).

It needs to look 'modern' and interesting, rather than just being page after page of dry documents. So it needs clear structure, flexible layout, and moderate use of whizzy graphical effects -- such as zooming in to maps.

So I'm wondering what sort of framework to use.

I think WordPress would quickly become unmanageable with so much data.

I've considered Foswiki, but I don't think the wiki approach really fits -- the site will be read-only to most of the visitors.

I've had a look at other local history sites around the country, and most of them are somewhere between awful and broken. I haven't found one yet that makes me think "Yes, we'll do it like that."

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris