Re: [Hampshire] Jessie upgrade question.

Author: Michael Daffin
To: tim, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Jessie upgrade question.
> 830 not upgraded
Suggests that it did not work. I would revert your sources file before
continuing.

It's been a while since i last used debian. But the procedure back then was
to edit the sources and run 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade' which
will upgrade every package to the latest version, including those that
require removal of other packages (by removing them first).

It is not as safe as a normal upgrade but is required to move from one
version to another.

Ubuntu has the 'do-release-upgrade' command which simplifies this
procedure, I am not sure if debian have adopted it or not, its worth using
if they have.

As always, especially at this point, it is a dangerous procedure so ensure
you have made any backups you require before proceeding. I would also
prepare for the possibility of needing a reinstall in case the worst
happens.