Re: [Hampshire] Jessie upgrade question.

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Jessie upgrade question.
On 19/12/15 04:00, Mike Burrows wrote:
> On 12/18/15 3:30 PM, Lisi wrote:
>> On Friday 18 December 2015 20:13:44 Mike Burrows wrote:
>>> Hello Folks.
>>>
>>> I have just down what I think was a successful upgrade to jessie but
>>> lsb_release -a is still reporting a squeeze system. What might I be
>>> missing please?
>> Did you go straight from Squeeze to Jessie?
>>
>> Lisi
>>
> Hi Lisi.
>
> No ma'am. Followed the release notes to go from squeeze to wheezy,
> then wheezy to jessie
>
> That said. I am not sure that even the first upgrade happened because...
>
> In both cases, the apt-get upgrade finishes with a bunch of high to
> low warnings about packages. I think these are the change logs. Are
> they and does this mean the upgrade hasn't worked? This is the first
> one on the list:
>
> mysql-5.5 (5.5.33+dfsg-0+wheezy1) wheezy-security; urgency=high
>
> mysql-server-5.5 ships with the upstream mysql_install_db script which
> creates a database "test" and sets up permissions that allow anonymous
> access, without a password, from localhost to the "test" database and
> any databases starting with "test_" that users might have created
> after installing mysql-server.
>

> This is the code before the change logs are read:
>
> 290 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 830 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0 B/154 MB of archives.
> After this operation, 13.5 MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
>

> I tried to start over and this is my current sources.list
>
> #deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ wheezy main
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
>

> Thanks for the help so far.
>
> Mike
>
> PS If I wasn't in Alabama, I would bring the box tomorrow :)

I am going to have a guess here, when it was installing it probably
asked if you wanted to update the source list, the default is always no
and you may well have selected that so the source list has not been
updated. I would simply edit your source list manually and change all
instances of squeeze to wheezy and once upgraded change wheezy to
Jessie. As I said that what I would do, not sure if it is the correct
way though so try at your own peril.........

Tim