Re: [Hampshire] NTFS and Linux

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NTFS and Linux
Benjamin Alan Parsonage <ba.parsonage@???> said:
> mtime on NTFS only has a resolution of 2 s where as most (all?)
> Linux file systems have a resolution of 1 s. This can become an
> issue with rsync

I do not intend to use rsync, just make backups of particular
files when needed.

> If you are unsure gparted gives a super easy GUI way to do it.

I can install GParted if needed. I presume it would work over a USB
link.

> Windows treats links in a completely different way to POSIX systems
> so NTFS has some funky behaviour. I believe it works kinda OK if
> you only load it Linux but windows will struggle.

There will be no need to use the links on the backup disk, I only want
to store them as files. I can see if it will do that before trying to
format it.

The computer in question is an isolated system, no network or internet
connection at all. Having a link to another PC elsewhere, so thanks
for the recommendation Gordon, Simon & James, but that's not really an
option for me.

Peter Alefounder.