Re: [Hampshire] NTFS and Linux

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NTFS and Linux

>> An aside...
>>
>> FWIW, my backup system involves an additional PC, running backupPC, in
>> the loft of my garage.
>>
>> That way the backups are done automatically and the copy is essentially
>> off site because the garage is the other side of a physical firewall.
>> Anywhere separated is better than having both copies in the same
>> building. Garden shed, friendly neighbour, even an outside tool storage
>> chest. Linux is brilliant in that you can recycle old PCs for jobs like
>> this. Try St. James if you have no spare PC. I bought a low-cost ITX
>> for energy consumption reasons, but how well that really adds up with
>> embodied energy I couldn't say.
>>
>> Gordon.

Hi,

I have put a PC at my parents house, so I can backup across the internet.
The PC is powered most of the time, but about once every 24 hours it
wakes, checks for new data, grabs the data, then sleeps again. It uses
the BIOS alarm to put it properly to sleep and wake it up again.
I use btrfs filesystem, and snapshots, so I can go back in time if needed.
The backup is mainly JPGs and MP4s from a video camera. I add
sha256sums to every file, so I can detect corruptions and restore the
correct file if needed.

Kind Regards

James