Re: [Hampshire] Advice on specs for a gaming machine

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice on specs for a gaming machine
Hi,

I was looking at the spec and I was wondering if the i5 was up to the job. I guess it depends on the balance of how many of the games he wants to play are bound by computational and communication stuff and how much is graphics rendering.

I believe you said the desire is for 2k (1920 x 1080) gaming, so I assume that there is no intent to buy a 4k-wide screen during next few years. With that in mind, I think the GTX980ti is very over powered and over priced for the needs.

I just bought a new machine and the advice I had was that, unless 4k is wanted, the GTX970 is where the smart money goes. This will lower the price quite significantly and free up money so he can have a quad-core i7 CPU with it. That's the option I chose and I think it represents a much more balanced distribution of specification in the machine.

If a GTX980 really is wanted then the price differential between the 980ti and the 980 seem like a false economy and I'd go for the ti.

All the best,
Paul.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity and any typos.

Looking at the games he wants to play and depends on what settings they will be at, he may benefit from a i7 and if gaining especially WoW, water cooling is the best option as a cooler with a heat sink won't last too long. I'd recommend at least a 750w power to withstand powering the harddrives, motherboard and graphics card, aswell as any audio he maybe adding and/or multiple screens.

David