Re: [Hampshire] Advice on specs for a gaming machine

Author: john
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice on specs for a gaming machine
Hi

For super fast gaming consider upping the ram to 32 GB or 64GB. You can
cut down on the SDD. The trick is to setup a ramdisk of 20GB or 40GB.
Install and play the program into the ram disk. Save a copy of the
installed program on the Hard Disk. When you want to play copy from
the Hard disk to the ram disk.

I have several different Windows VMs which I use in a ram disk. They are
extremly fast. You can do this with linux VMs as well.

I believe ram disks are faster than SSD and you dont have to worry
about trimming and cell burn out.

The copy from the hard disk is a minor inconvenience but worth it for
the speed. Also very good for security. Don't care if the program or
drive gets trashed. I have another copy on the hard disk.

John Eayrs