Re: [Hampshire] Advice on specs for a gaming machine

Author: Michael Daffin
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice on specs for a gaming machine
Overall that is a solid top end gaming machine that will be able to run
basically all modern games on max or at least high for the next 2-3 years.

I would consider getting the
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam
instead. Not much of a price difference but slightly better read and much
better write performance. The 650W PSU will do but I would consider a
700-750W+ to add a bit more of a buffer and any future additions and
minimal cost.

I would expect the first upgrade in about 2 years would be to the ram.
Current games can happily consume 8GB+ of ram.

The graphics card is currently one of the best ones you can get, it will be
able to run games on high settings for 3+ years before you start to even
think about lowering the settings. I would be tempted to go for the
slightly cheaper gtx 980 (different from the gtx 980 ti listed) to save
~£150 and instead spend it on a nice gsync enabled monitor. But you can
always save up for that later.