Re: [Hampshire] Dead server

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dead server
On 13/05/2015 23:08, jay bennie wrote:
> sound more like a bad capacitor, it could be anywhere, check the tops for swelling/dis colour and dust (hover any crud from fans & gaps)

I'd go along with that.

The ones that normally go are the electrolytic types .. aluminium cans
with black(usually) printing. The electrolyte is a liquid and tends to
dry out over a number of years use in a warm environment. Swelling,
(usually of the flat top), discolouration, oozing electrolyte.

The next most likely candidates are tantalum capacitors, which tend to
be little black rectangular block. When they fail, they tend to blow a
corner off of the moulding, or sometimes just a small hole/crater.

Most of the rest will be ceramics, which are usually trouble-free.

Gordon.
             On a Windows PC that just did a reboot, of it's own
volition, for updates and dumped half this mail.    Junk!

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.