Re: [Hampshire] Dead server

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Dead server
I once had a machine that, if you ran the memory test continuously, it would succeed for about 6 hours, fail once then go for hours again before falling.

Bulging our leaking capacitors are another good bet as Jay says. Those are prime suspects, particularly if a piece of equipment works fine in a rack for years then fails after you turn it off and back on.

Bests,
Paul.

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity and any typos.

> On Friday 20 Feb 2015 21:27:46 Leo wrote:
>> I noticed today that my headless server stopped responding so I had to
>> reboot it. However all I can tell is that the logs appear to have
>> stopped recording anything from about mid-afternoon yesterday. Is there
>> anywhere else I can look to see what might have happened?
>
> I was getting that recently. Turned out to be disc errors.

So, a very late follow up to this: I tested the disks using fsck and
smart, and found no problems. So I ignored the problem. However, in the
last week it has since frozen twice again. So I ram memtest. The first
time it reported some errors. The second time, it didn't report any.

Has anyone had any experience of failed memory: is it possible to pass
and fail, or once failing will it always fail?

Thanks,
Leo

PS I'm now running an mprime torture test to see what that throws up.