Re: [Hampshire] Simple database?

Author: Jay Bennie
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk User Group
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Simple database?

On 14 Jan 2015, at 11:07, Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a simple and simple
> database for a membership list. An address book with some extra fields
> for things like "paid until", in this case 'boat', and a notes field.
>
> I need a number of fields, so plain table's are a nuisance, though a
> spreadsheet with frozen columns works OK.
>
> I have people on Linux, Mac and Windows, so need cross-platform. There
> are presently only 116 records and that's unlikely to change a great
> deal.
>
> I could just make something in Ruby or whatever, but there must, surely,
> already be something out there. I often use xmbase-grok, but it's not
> cross-platform.

google's spreadsheet app works well can, but if you want something uber simple

or

Create a table in mysql and use the scafolding capability in cakephp to autocreate a CRUD interface. (its quite usable by default)

it takes about 20mins, then publish to a web server. (adding a password layer is a few mins of extra work work ... but its all in the tutorials

:)