[Hampshire] ... gchq etc ... omg tin hat alert!

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] ... gchq etc ... omg tin hat alert!
On 7 Dec 2014 at 20:41, jay bennie wrote:

> ... gchq etc ... omg tin hat alert!

The Bradley/Chelsea Manning leaks demonstrate that too many
people have access to secret information.

For the US, the number of people with access to information at
the Manning level is estimated to be 500,000 to 2,000,000
depending on who you talk to.

If you assume that the level of criminality amongst those with
clearance is about the same as that in the population at large,
then you take note that the US keeps about 1% of its population
if prison. Such numbers suggest that several thousand people
with criminal intent exist with access to the data. It would be
foolish to assume that cases of private blackmail or industrial
espionage have not already happened.

The Snowden leaks demonstrate that government agencies will
install and use "stuff" if they possibly can.

> encryption works! use it...and your tin at hosting is
> just if not more vulnerable than the top clouds.

How long did the SSL problem last? So much for the "many eyes"
philosophy. I agree that end-to-end encryption may be required.

An absolute belief in the safety of encryption is a tin hat
belief at the moment.
https://www.schneier.com/

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 80 631441, +44 (0)7803 903612, fax: +44