Re: [Hampshire] Hampshire Digest, Vol 98, Issue 4

Author: Anthony
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hampshire Digest, Vol 98, Issue 4
> > On 7 Dec 2014, at 15:27, "Stephen Pelc" <stephen@???> wrote:
[snip]
> > And which cloud provider do you trust to
> > a) provide service
> > b) not to mine your data
> > c) not to feed NSA/GCHQ/...
> > You need to read the Ts and Cs very carefully.

> From: jay bennie <jay@???>

[snip]
> ... gchq etc ... omg tin hat alert!
>
> encryption works! use it...and your tin at hosting is just if not more
> vulnerable than the top clouds.
>
> and if you must know.. Azure.

FWIW I think Ts and Cs are of limited value unless you can detect
they're being broken and afford to pursue your supplier for recompense,
so I'd go for encryption.

I think Snowden's disclosures show that the OP is not being paranoid in
not wanting his data to pass to GCHQ nor being unreal about the
possibility of the content being misused. In the past some members of
the Surrey LUG list have hounded and ridiculed others off the list using
phrases like 'OMG' and 'Tin Hat', so on a LUG list an opinion like this
benefits from a bit of explanation (and ideally more considerate
phrasing).

Anthony