[Hampshire] FTTC presentation

Author: Dr Adam John Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] FTTC presentation
Hi,

I'm considering upgrading my ADSL2+ service to Fibre/VDSL (which in my case is
still copper into the house). In theory my current Co-operative broadband
would jump from around 11 Mbit to about 38 Mbit.

The Co-operative want to provide me with a Technicolor TG582n "router" for
free, but it's still £6 P&P. As far as I can tell it's a cheap and not very
popular ADSL2+ router so on paper servers no useful purpose as a VDSL router.
I've also found some references online which suggest that it's actually a
modified router which has one of it's LAN ports converted into a WAN port.

I can't get out them sending me the router, but I just want to confirm what do
BT OpenReach actually install in your house if you have "fibre"?

Am I right in thinking the VDSL presentation has a VDSL decoder and you get a
BT phone jack and an RJ-45 lead which you need to plug into a router?

If that is the case my Netgrar ADSL2+ router already comes with a WAN socket
and I should be okay, but I'm just checking.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Linux? Il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher.
    -- anon