Re: [Hampshire] FTTC presentation

Author: Clive Woodfine
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] FTTC presentation
Adam,

I am with TalkTalk and they now supply a Huawei HG635 Super Router that
connects directly to the landline. It works okay, I get 40 Mbs but I am
only 100m from the green box. The Wi-Fi is good and it has a USB 2.0 socket
which I can use with a Raspberry Pi raspXBMC to show my photos. This may
not help you as the router is specific to TalkTalk but Huawei may have
something similar for general use.

Regards,

Clive

On 29 November 2014 at 19:51, Chris Malton <chrism@???> wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Usually, Openreach "install" a VDSL modem, which then connects via RJ45 to
> most cable routers.
> I say "install" as, in my experiences for people they fit the VDSL
> faceplate on the NTE5, drop the box and run.
>
> You end up with Phone and VDSL coming out of the NTE5, and you feed the
> VDSL to the OpenReach box (which is usually some Technicolor/other cheap
> brand device as well), and then you get, I think, a PPPoE session. In some
> cases (depending on provider) you may just be able to DHCP on the WAN
> interface, but I believe PPPoE is more normal for talking to a VDSL box.
>
> I wish you luck - I've been trying to get VDSL at my flat for months - the
> cabinet is in, but apparently not turned on..... so it's a bit curious that
> it buzzes......
>
> Regards,
>
> Chris
>
> On 29/11/14 16:35, Dr Adam John Trickett wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm considering upgrading my ADSL2+ service to Fibre/VDSL (which in my
>> case is
>> still copper into the house). In theory my current Co-operative broadband
>> would jump from around 11 Mbit to about 38 Mbit.
>>
>> The Co-operative want to provide me with a Technicolor TG582n "router" for
>> free, but it's still £6 P&P. As far as I can tell it's a cheap and not
>> very
>> popular ADSL2+ router so on paper servers no useful purpose as a VDSL
>> router.
>> I've also found some references online which suggest that it's actually a
>> modified router which has one of it's LAN ports converted into a WAN port.
>>
>> I can't get out them sending me the router, but I just want to confirm
>> what do
>> BT OpenReach actually install in your house if you have "fibre"?
>>
>> Am I right in thinking the VDSL presentation has a VDSL decoder and you
>> get a
>> BT phone jack and an RJ-45 lead which you need to plug into a router?
>>
>> If that is the case my Netgrar ADSL2+ router already comes with a WAN
>> socket
>> and I should be okay, but I'm just checking.
>>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Clive