Re: [Hampshire] Freeview DVB Tuners

Author: Steve Miller
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Freeview DVB Tuners
-------- Original Message --------
> On Sun, 02 Nov 2014 23:23:24 +0000, linux@??? said:
>
>> Can anyone recommend an HD Freeview TV card that works with Linux.
> I use a PCTV nanoStick T2 290e (http://stevekerrison.com/290e/). It's USB
> rather than "a card", but it receives HD Freeview nicely.
>
>> Preferably with dual tuners.
> The above is a single tuner; however, unless you're doing something
> unusual, you're unlikely to need a dual tuner. In the UK, all the HD
> channels are on the same mux, so only one tuner is needed. I'm using the
> above under MythTV, and can record up to three programs simultaneously on
> the one tuner (it's only limited to three because that's how I set it up:
> in theory, it could record more).

I use a TBS620 dual-tuner DVB-T/DVB-T2 PCIe card which does both
standard and HD. Unfortunately the drivers are not included in the
main Linux kernel. TBS do release updates to their drivers twice a year
or so but sometimes there is a little messing around needed to get them
to compile with very recent kernels.

> In the UK, all the HD channels are on the same mux, so only one tuner is needed.

This is not the case any more. Hannington has two HD MUXes running right now.

Steve