Re: [Hampshire] Portsmouth LUG B-a-B meeting the coming Satu…

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Portsmouth LUG B-a-B meeting the coming Saturday, July 19th, from 13:00 - 18:00
** Joseph Bennie <jay@???> [2014-07-15 15:19]:
> On 15 Jul 2014, at 15:04, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@???> wrote:
> > On Monday 14 July 2014 10:43:34 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >> Our next meeting will be the coming Saturday, July 19th, from 13:00 -
> >> 18:00, in the Broadoaks Social Club.
> >> http://www.broadoaksocialclub.net/where.html
> > [snip]
> >> I was expecting Paul Tansom to be giving a talk this month, but first I was
> >> incommunicado, and now he seems to be incommunicado, so I am not sure where
> >> we are.
> >
> > Paul and I are now in communication again! He will be talking on "Code Club",
> > for which he is now the coordinator for the South East region. "Who we are
> > and what's involved in running an after school club."
> >
> > For those who haven't heard of it: https://www.codeclub.org.uk/
> >
> > "The only thing that particularly worries me is
> > whether I can get Linux running on it (his brand new laptop) by Saturday or
> > whether I'll have the
> > embarrassment of running Windows 8 on it at a LUG meet (which wouldn't be
> > helped by the fact that I don't find the interface particularly intuitive!)."
> >
> > So, please, show him we can be gentle. You and I may one day be forced to
> > touch Windows 8. ;-)
>
> code club works around the Scratch editor which is a standard package on debian.

> It works like a charm on the debian pi distro and the pi is good enough for a quick demo…. It a lot easier just to flash an SD card with the factory image and boot . Than to setup a whole laptop just for a few demos.

** end quote [Joseph Bennie]

It does indeed, for two of the terms of work. The main snag with using a
Raspberry Pi is the need for an adapter to drive a VGA projector, which I don't
have (yet). I'm also planning to have a few supportive images so people have
got something other than me to look at :) I could come up with a way to do that
on a Pi though, and I've got a couple of Pis that I may manage to bring along.
They are some of the very first off the production lines so sadly only 256M,
although I have just splashed out on a new B+ model which arrived yesterday :)
I would have used my ancient netbook, but although it runs Linux it won't drive
the external VGA port. Since I was long overdue a new laptop I've splashed out
and got one, but haven't had the chance to install Linux on it yet - the last
thing I want to do is have problems and have nothing working; I have a
Raspberry Jam on Sunday as well.

There are two levels of embarrasment to be had with Windows 8 at a LUG meet;
the first is having it at all, and the second is looking completely lost as you
try to work out how to use it. I'm sure Microsoft employed drunk monkeys to
design it. There are 4 different places to look when you want to start an
application, things are very prone to popping out of the side of the screen
when you don't want them to, everying is very large and involves significant
scrolling - this may work well with a touch screen or XBox controller (now
there's a thought!), but when they can't make up their mind whether you should
throw the mouse to the side of the screen or use a scroll bar at the bottom of
the screen it doesn't help matters, neither does the fact that when you try to
get the scroll bar at the bottom the task bar tends to pop up as well obscuring
it!

Anyway, back to work - and Raspberry Pis, Scratch and robotic arms, oh, and a
bit of Python :)

Sent from a very Linux-y Mutt with Vim as the editor - perhaps I shouldn't have
mentioned the editor ;)