Re: [Hampshire] XBMC ISO

Author: Imran Chaudhry
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] XBMC ISO
On 29 May 2014 17:52, "Rob Malpass" <linux@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>

> I’m looking to build / get a cheap media centre PC for under the telly.

I noticed [1] and wondered if anyone had used them and had any views… The
trouble is most of my collection of videos is in iso format. I have the
original DVD media for each iso but the disk needs to head toward the loft.

> So far as I can tell, none of Apple TV, Roku, PS3 (or anything that

“speaks” DLNA) can handle these type of ISOs. I’ve just had my first play
with xbmc on a reasonably low specced Ubuntu box. Seemed to play them
isos fine – albeit a bit of a faff. I’ve seen these on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-XBMC-Media-Centre-Mini-Keyboard-64GBclass10-complete-HDMI-WiFi-KIT-/121144886604?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item1c34cc454c

> I must admit £120 is a bit steep but I guess if it contains everything

and is basically plug and play – fair enough. Just wondered if anyone had
tried it and noticed any performance issues.

Hi Rob,

Video playback is generally fine but it is the other stuff that lags as
mentioned by others. Not a big lag but enough to annoy me anyway. I think
it will annoy you too as you have an Ubuntu machine doing it ATM.

With £120 you should look for a used Acer Revo 3610 on which you can
install the OpenElec brand of XBMC very easily. This is what I did. I am
99% sure it can play iso files even over a network. Check their wiki.

Search the list for "Acer Revo" as I asked for XBMC hardware
recommendations a short while back.