[Hampshire] XBMC ISO

Author: Rob Malpass
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] XBMC ISO
Hi all

I’m looking to build / get a cheap media centre PC for under the telly. I
noticed [1] and wondered if anyone had used them and had any views… The
trouble is most of my collection of videos is in iso format. I have the
original DVD media for each iso but the disk needs to head toward the loft.

So far as I can tell, none of Apple TV, Roku, PS3 (or anything that “speaks”
DLNA) can handle these type of ISOs. I’ve just had my first play with xbmc
on a reasonably low specced Ubuntu box. Seemed to play them isos fine –
albeit a bit of a faff. I’ve seen these on ebay:

[1]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-XBMC-Media-Centre-Mini-Keyboard-64GBc
lass10-complete-HDMI-WiFi-KIT-/121144886604?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH
<http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raspberry-Pi-XBMC-Media-Centre-Mini-Keyboard-64GB
class10-complete-HDMI-WiFi-KIT-/121144886604?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_E
H&hash=item1c34cc454c> &hash=item1c34cc454c

I must admit £120 is a bit steep but I guess if it contains everything and
is basically plug and play – fair enough. Just wondered if anyone had
tried it and noticed any performance issues.

Cheers

Rob