Re: [Hampshire] XBMC ISO

Author: Artur Łądka
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] XBMC ISO

> On 30 May 2014 00:05, Michael Pavling <pavling@???> wrote:
> > Raspberry PIs do run XBMC.... but they really are rather slow (even
> > rendering and navigating through the menus was too slow for me for
> regular
> > use). Much better to get it running on an Atom net-top machine at the
> least.
> >

> +1
>
> I found the Pi not well suited to media playing apps. Playing the
> media was okay ish, not perfect, but navigating the menus was painful.
>
> I have an Acer Aspire Revo 3600 which has an Atom CPU and nVidia GPU,
> running a stripped down Linux distro and XBMC. Works a treat with an
> external remote control. The only thing it doesn't do is power down/up
> when I need it.
>
> You can pick them up on ebay.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

+2

I will check today if DVD ISO files are played smoothly on Pi, but if you
are ready to spend £120 (which is twice more than it should cost - you can
probably buy similar set without keyboard for £50) you should consider
building proper PC. There was a discussion about XBMC hardware recently on
this list.

I am quite happy with RPi in bedroom (slow menu is only issue, but on the
other side HDMI-CEC works perfect, so I am using one remote to control
everything - and it is powered form TV USB port). But main lounge HTPC is
built on old Core2 Duo + 2GB RAM + GeForce 610 (it is powerful enough to be
multi purpose server - HTPC, NAS, LAMP...)