Re: [Hampshire] PCI SATA controller

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: jay bennie
CC: Hants LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] PCI SATA controller
Jay,

On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 at 09:24:50AM +0000, jay bennie wrote:
> better to use ide/sata converter - they are usually
> bidirectional so when you upgrade again to a sata main board -
> you can also use it for legacy ide drives.

Interesting idea. In this case most of my systems are SATA
already, so it's just one older PC I'm reusing, so I don't have a
lot of PATA drives to carry forward.

I'll bear in mind for other use cases though.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 11 Feb 2014, at 22:58, "Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Before I buy a new one, does anyone have a PCI (not PCIe) bus, SATA controller
> > card I could put in an old PC to allow it to take SATA hard disks instead of
> > the tiny PATA disk it currently has in, that they no longer need...?
> >
> > It's not desperate but just checking.
> >
> > It goes without saying it needs to work with Linux...!
> >
> > --
> > Adam Trickett
> > Overton, HANTS, UK
> >
> > "Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
> > provides more security than wiping with decimal values."
> >    -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160
> > --
> > Please post to: Hampshire@???

Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I never really understood how there could be things that would
drive you insane just because you knew them until I ran into Windows.
    -- anon