Re: [Hampshire] NASs

Author: Steve Kirk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NASs
On 30 January 2014 22:07:58 GMT, Ian Park <i.d.c.park@???> wrote:
>On 30/01/14 18:51, Ally Biggs wrote:
>> Just get a old PC whack a few decent sized drives in it and get
>Freenas on there.
>>
>> I had it running on a old school pentium 3 server build it was
>happily chugging along serving up files for over 2 years.
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 30 Jan 2014, at 18:21, "john" <jee@???>
>wrote:
>>
>>> I abandoned NAS a long time ago as cost in-efficient.
>>>
>>> The way I go now is to use a SATA drive caddy - cost £12 to £20 and
>use
>>> Samba.
>>>
>>> Hard disk size. Your choice.
>>>
>>> the following will detect and mount the drive caddy disk.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> ls /dev/sd?
>>> for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/scan
>>> do
>>> echo "- - -" >> $i
>>> done
>>>
>>> /sbin/sfdisk -s
>>> ls /dev/sd?
>>>
>>> The first line of output is what is already mounted
>>> The second line will give you what is mounted plus the new hard disk
>>>
>>> The following will unmount the disk when changing it.
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> if [ $# != 1 ]; then
>>> echo "Synopsis: stopsata.sh <drive>"
>>> exit 1
>>> fi
>>> export DRIVE=$1
>>> for i in $(mount | grep ${DRIVE} | awk '{print $1}'); do
>>> echo Unmounting $i
>>> umount $i
>>> done
>>> echo Powering down ${DRIVE}
>>> echo 1 >> /sys/block/${DRIVE}/device/delete
>>> echo You may now safely disconnect the drive
>>>
>>> example: sudo ./stopsata.sh sdc

>>> --
>>> Please post to: Hampshire@???
>Yes, for a while I went down the road of sticking some drives in an old
>
>PC and running a Debian server installation; however the NAS has the
>dual advantage of being a lot more compact than even a low-profile
>desktop case (which you'd be pushed to get a couple of hard drives in),
>
>ans much lower power consumption (significant if you're going to keep
>it
>running most of the time).
>
>Ian

Hi,

I'd have to agree using an old machine can work but for me is too big and too power hungry these days.

If you're interested in putting something together yourself (e.g. installing and configuring a Linux install) then you could do a lot worse than check out the HP MicroServer. I'm very pleased with mine and frequently available in a cash back deal. No link to hand but Google will easily find it.

Cheers,
Steve
Hosted by the SDF Public Access Unix System