Re: [Hampshire] NASs

Author: Ian Park
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] NASs
On 30/01/14 18:51, Ally Biggs wrote:
> Just get a old PC whack a few decent sized drives in it and get Freenas on there.
>
> I had it running on a old school pentium 3 server build it was happily chugging along serving up files for over 2 years.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 30 Jan 2014, at 18:21, "john" <jee@???> wrote:
>
>> I abandoned NAS a long time ago as cost in-efficient.
>>
>> The way I go now is to use a SATA drive caddy - cost £12 to £20 and use
>> Samba.
>>
>> Hard disk size. Your choice.
>>
>> the following will detect and mount the drive caddy disk.
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> ls /dev/sd?
>> for i in /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/scan
>> do
>> echo "- - -" >> $i
>> done
>>
>> /sbin/sfdisk -s
>> ls /dev/sd?
>>
>> The first line of output is what is already mounted
>> The second line will give you what is mounted plus the new hard disk
>>
>> The following will unmount the disk when changing it.
>> #!/bin/bash
>> if [ $# != 1 ]; then
>> echo "Synopsis: stopsata.sh <drive>"
>> exit 1
>> fi
>> export DRIVE=$1
>> for i in $(mount | grep ${DRIVE} | awk '{print $1}'); do
>> echo Unmounting $i
>> umount $i
>> done
>> echo Powering down ${DRIVE}
>> echo 1 >> /sys/block/${DRIVE}/device/delete
>> echo You may now safely disconnect the drive
>>
>> example: sudo ./stopsata.sh sdc
>>

>> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:33:31 +0000
>> DAWE C <the-labyrinth@???> wrote:
>>
>>> I would like a NAS at home, on which I can store lots of files and
>>> have them accessible from both Limux and Widnows. (I am trying to
>>> avoid the mistake I made w few years ago, when I got a network disc
>>> which needed a driver to access, so was only available from certain
>>> versions of Widnows!).
>>>
>>> Any recommendations from people?
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> Please post to: Hampshire@???

Yes, for a while I went down the road of sticking some drives in an old
PC and running a Debian server installation; however the NAS has the
dual advantage of being a lot more compact than even a low-profile
desktop case (which you'd be pushed to get a couple of hard drives in),
ans much lower power consumption (significant if you're going to keep it
running most of the time).

Ian