Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] upcoming meetings

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] upcoming meetings
On 18/12/13 20:01, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 18 December 2013 18:54, Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:
>>> Out of curiosity, does HantsLUG have a Facebook page, a event could be
>>> created for it?
>>

>> No, we have a proper website at hantslug.org.uk!
>>

> Not sure if this is meant in jest?
>
> Are you seriously suggesting that we don't need to promote our
> meetings outside a website which probably gets near zero new visitors
> every month?

Not really a jest -- a serious plea for people to update the website.

> Like it or not Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and others have the
> opportunity for us to reach new people.

On the other hand, I wasn't meaning that we shouldn't use any or all of
those other ways of publicising and promoting the LUG. Who wants to
volunteer to run a Facebook page for us?

> It may be that you don't
> actually want any new people to turn up in which case fair enough. I
> just wanted to figure out what the motivation for having meetings and
> promoting them on the list and website was if that's the case.

Now you're just being bitter and twisted.

>> I've added a calendar entry for the February meeting, but you (James, and
>> any other HantsLUG member) are more than welcome to add posts or pages about
>> these events, or anything else vaguely related to Linux.
>>

> I'm still frustrated that we used to have a wiki which worked fine,
> and was then comprehensively broken by successive parties to the point
> where nobody edits it at all.

As I recall, the wiki was spoilt by huge amounts of spam and rogue
registrations. When I took over as hostmaster, I tried to fix it (and
appealed for help on this mailing list) but was unable to find a
workable solution. Instead I set up a WordPress site, and transferred
much of the content from the wiki. The WordPress site can be edited by
any member of HantsLUG (defined as members of this mailing list) --
registration is required, but is simple.

And yet nobody ever adds anything. The reasons must be something other
than technical ones.

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis, Hostmaster for HantsLUG.org.uk