Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] upcoming meetings

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] upcoming meetings
On 19 December 2013 10:45, Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:
> Not really a jest -- a serious plea for people to update the website.

The two are not mutually exclusive. It's entirely possible to create a
meeting page on a website then a event in a social media site and link
to said page.

The website contains the details, the social media side is merely
raising awareness.

>> It may be that you don't
>> actually want any new people to turn up in which case fair enough. I
>> just wanted to figure out what the motivation for having meetings and
>> promoting them on the list and website was if that's the case.
>
> Now you're just being bitter and twisted.

I'm bitter that the LUG has fallen apart in this department, yes. We
used to have a functioning website which could be edited easily by
anyone. Now we don't, that's a regression.

> As I recall, the wiki was spoilt by huge amounts of spam and rogue
> registrations.

Not when it was abusemod wiki, no. There were some spam edits and they
were easily reverted by code *we* created to make it work *for* *us*.
The wiki was then pointlessly converted to Moin and the people
responsible walked away. At that point it all fell apart, and rather
than go back to what was working perfectly fine before (abusemod) we
moved forward to a situation where basically nobody edits the site.

The wiki worked. I know I am not alone in holding this opinion.

> And yet nobody ever adds anything. The reasons must be something other than
> technical ones.

Perhaps the content people want to edit isn't the content you want
people to edit?

I don't necessarily want to create new blog pages in Wordpress, but
update the old and orphaned pages which were fine but out of date.

The pages which have existed for many years but are now non-editable
due to the ridiculous and pointless multiple migrations the website
has had. They are now unlikely to ever get fixed which makes
motivation for maintaining other parts of the site low to zero.

Just my frustrated 2p. Take it as bitter and twisted if you like, what
do I know.

Al.