Re: [Hampshire] SATA conundrum

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SATA conundrum
On 27/11/13 11:36, Chris Dennis wrote:
> Hello folks
>
> I'm trying to give a new lease of life to an HP Compaq computer,
> previously running Windows XP, with bad blocks on its 80GB SATA disk.
>
> The plan is to install Linux Mint on a new hard disk.
>
> But every disk I've tried (two new ones, and a couple of old ones, all
> bigger than 80GB) fails to be recognised by the BIOS. I can hear faint
> buzzes and clicks from the drives -- even the new ones.
>
> If I put the old disk back, the BIOS is happy, and the system starts
> (but that's no good, because the disk is failing).
>
> I can't find any relevant settings in the BIOS to tweak, nor jumpers on
> the drives.
>
> Any ideas?

Thanks for all the replies.

I managed to update the BIOS all the way from 1.07 to 1.08, and that
made no difference. No other updates seem to be available.

The original (apparently SATA 1) disk has now failed completely.

I could use a PATA hard disk, but the motherboard only has one PATA
channel, and that is in use for the optical drive.

All of which is a pity, because I was trying to do all of this for
minimal cost for a local retired chap.

It looks like I'll have to give up on this one.

cheers

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???