Re: [Hampshire] SATA conundrum

Author: Joseph Bennie
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk User Group
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SATA conundrum

On 27 Nov 2013, at 11:36, Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> wrote:

> Hello folks
>
> I'm trying to give a new lease of life to an HP Compaq computer, previously running Windows XP, with bad blocks on its 80GB SATA disk.

some systems have a sata legacy mode which can cause issues. also if the new drive is SATAII or SATAIII you may experience problems on 1st generation SATA I controllers. however I’ve never had any issues, with SATA versions but i recently had an issue with the legacy mode on an old dell (2004).

(if its that old your probably better putting an IDE(PATA) in instead)