Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem

Author: Artur Łądka
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem
Hi.
> I took a photo of the screen after a further startup error. The
> final messages were:
>
> [ 5.059451] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!
> [ 5.140288] input: HD-Audio Generic Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:00:
> 14.2/sound/card0/input6

Try newer kernel (see below) and see if problem still exists.
> I didn't reboot just then, but waited a while, and as Artur Ladka
> said, something timed out and the boot process continued. There was
> a further pause after multiple repeats of
>
> udev[438]: timeout: killing 'mtp-probe /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb
> 9/9-4 9 3' [605]

120 seconds is kernel's watchdog timer when loading new module.
mtp-probe suggests that something is wrong with USB flash drive - do you
have maybe card reader? If yes check if it is not cause of your
troubles. Also disconnect all USB devices to make sure that it is not
problem with one of your peripherals. Again, new kernel can be a solution.
> I was eventually able to log in, but found no response to the (USB)
> mouse. A later examination of log files showed that unplugging and
> reconnecting the mouse had been registered. Following a reboot,
> everything was normal.
>
> So, no actual proof, but I think this is looking like USB trouble.
> I have now disabled legacy USB support. Thank you, Berni and Chris
> for the advice. Not sure how long it will take to be confident the
> problem has been fixed!
>
> Peter Alefounder.

As I said before, check new kernel from backports
(http://backports.debian.org/ - it is currently 3.10) - it can help you
as all problems seem to be hardware related. Maybe default 3.2 does not
provide full support for your motherboard which is probably pretty new.
Also check linux-firmware* packages and install when necessary.

Last but not least, update your BIOS firmware if possible.