Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem

> > Berni Elbourn <berni421@???> said:
> >> I had reboot problems with several boxes recently.
> >> The fix is to remove legacy USB support from bios

and

Chris Dennis <cgdennis@???> said:
> I'm not sure really, but I've often found that disabling this setting in
> the BIOS fixes various things.

I took a photo of the screen after a further startup error. The
final messages were:

[   5.059451] Fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed!
[   5.140288] input: HD-Audio Generic Headphone as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:00:
14.2/sound/card0/input6

I didn't reboot just then, but waited a while, and as Artur Ladka
said, something timed out and the boot process continued. There was
a further pause after multiple repeats of

udev[438]: timeout: killing 'mtp-probe /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb
9/9-4 9 3' [605]

I was eventually able to log in, but found no response to the (USB)
mouse. A later examination of log files showed that unplugging and
reconnecting the mouse had been registered. Following a reboot,
everything was normal.

So, no actual proof, but I think this is looking like USB trouble.
I have now disabled legacy USB support. Thank you, Berni and Chris
for the advice. Not sure how long it will take to be confident the
problem has been fixed!

Peter Alefounder.