Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem

Author: Artur Łądka
To: Peter Alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem
2013/11/11 Peter Alefounder <p_alefounder@???>

> Artur ??dka <arturladka@???>said:
> > Did you try to wait a bit when boot up process is frozen? About 3 minutes
> > from start (120 seconds after freeze) - after that kernel will kill
> > blocking task. I recently found this problem on relatively new hardware
> and
> > Debian 7 when IPMI module could not be loaded.
>
> No, I have not given it that long. This is certainly new hardware. I don't
> know
> what IPMI is, but will find out if I need to. I have noticed that it
> complains
> about lacking some codecs, but that lack does not appear to affect normal
> operation.
>
> It does not have to be IPMI, can be any other kernel module. In this case

it will hang on udev message "waiting for /dev to be fully populated". It
is strange that after reboot everything is OK (again - it seems to be power
supply issue) but maybe after hard reset something is little bit different.
Maybe try to boot it up in recovery mode? You can also try different
distribution or OS - problem I had on Debian did not exists on OpenSUSE or
FreeBSD - but unfortunately I prefer Debian and had to deal with it ;)