Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem

Author: Berni Elbourn
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian 7.1 startup problem
On 12/11/13 08:57, Artur Łądka wrote:
> 2013/11/11 Peter Alefounder <p_alefounder@??? <mailto:p_alefounder@yahoo.co.uk>>
>

>     Artur ??dka <arturladka@??? <mailto:arturladka@gmail.com>>said:
>      > Did you try to wait a bit when boot up process is frozen? About 3 minutes
>      > from start (120 seconds after freeze) - after that kernel will kill
>      > blocking task. I recently found this problem on relatively new hardware and
>      > Debian 7 when IPMI module could not be loaded.

>     No, I have not given it that long. This is certainly new hardware. I don't know
>     what IPMI is, but will find out if I need to. I have noticed that it complains
>     about lacking some codecs, but that lack does not appear to affect normal
>     operation.

> It does not have to be IPMI, can be any other kernel module. In this case it will hang on udev message "waiting for /dev
> to be fully populated". It is strange that after reboot everything is OK (again - it seems to be power supply issue) but
> maybe after hard reset something is little bit different. Maybe try to boot it up in recovery mode? You can also try
> different distribution or OS - problem I had on Debian did not exists on OpenSUSE or FreeBSD - but unfortunately I
> prefer Debian and had to deal with it ;)
>
>      > If it will not be this problem I also think it can be PSU issue. Is your
>      > PSU branded or is it cheapest no name?

>     FSP Raider. Something that DNUK trust enough to give a 3 year warranty.

> FSP are known to be cheap but reliable. But even the best product can fail.

Sorry, late to the thread. I had reboot problems with several boxes recently. The fix is to remove legacy USB support
from bios ... e.g. :
Advanced Chipset Control
--SouthBridge Configuration
----Legacy USB Support

or just unplug the until running ;-)

Hope this might help,

Berni

--
"Confidence is what you have before you understand a problem" - Woody Allen