Re: [Hampshire] Ebooks, was: disk types and layout on a new …

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ebooks, was: disk types and layout on a new box
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2013-10-15 23:26]:
> On 15 October 2013 23:12, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> > Yes, I have the same concern with the inability to change batteries in tablets
> > and some phones & laptops. I have a Nook ebook reader and I get slightly
> > annoyed at the thought that I will have to scrap it when the battery gives up -
> > not a major issue given that it only cost me £29 and I've only used it to read
> > either the freely downloadable books, or DRM free ones (Humble Book Bundles).
>
> How did you copy content over to the device? I have the same one and
> futzed around and enabled the Play store, Amazon store etc and
> installed the Kindle app as I already had some content in it.

** end quote [Alan Pope]

I'm suspecting the one I was referring to isn't the same device as it isn't
capable of running the Play store (as far as I know) - it is the basic Simple
Touch E Ink display one. That I just connected up via USB and copied the files
across into the appropriate folder (My Files and then one of Books, Documents,
Magazines or Newspapers as appropriate). I've changed the screen saver in a
similar way (although it was fun converting the images to a suitable size and
limited greyscale!).

As it happens I also have a Nook HD+ now, which came with the Play store
enabled by default. From what I've read I should be able to do the same thing,
although I've not tried hooking it up to my PC yet. Failing that, I've
downloaded several PDFs to read, so I can always put the files on my intranet
server and download from there, although it won't show up as neatly in the
library.

This wasn't £29, but at £149 for a 9" tablet with 1920x1280 display and
32GB storage I'm not complaining. I've not tried it yet, but it can dual boot
stock Android of the Micro SD card, or you can wipe it and put stock Android
on. I'm not too keen on that yet given that it will cause warranty issues, but
it will happen no doubt.

The only issue I have is that it doesn't like the wireless N on my router and
I've had to (temporarily I hope) drop the speed down to G :( More of an annoyance
is the fact that the multiple user profiles isn't exactly sophicticated - they
are just adult or child, common pin for all adults and none for children. You
can then restrict what apps can be run, but any config is shared between
profiles - i.e. if you install Facebook, Twitter, Google+, etc. every profile
logs in with the same account :( Oh, another annoyance is the proprietary
connector for charging and data (I need to get a spare just in case as they are
only available while stocks last).