Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
** Anton Piatek <anton@???> [2013-10-12 21:54]:
> On 4 Oct 2013 17:37, "Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
> > However I'm more likely to delete something by accident than have a drive
> > failure. I've only ever had one drive go bad at home in 15 years, even
> then
> > SMART let me know and I was able to buy a new drive and rebuild the mirror
> > without any down time, but I've deleted stuff I didn't want to many times.
>
> I have just bought a new drive as mine is giving me SMART errors and is one
> month out of warranty. I don't trust hard drives as it seems most of mine
> die sooner or later.

** end quote [Anton Piatek]

I'm with you on the distrust of hard drives, and I'm even more uncomfortable at
this point with SSD drives which seem to have more potential for catastrophic
failure than the so called 'spinning rust' type - as in I've only ever seen
complete failure on solid state media, whereas on traditional hard drives I
have pretty much always had a bit of warning of impending doom.

I'm quite impressed you've seen a SMART error, the only time I've seen one is
on a drive I already knew was failing - in fact I was inthe process of
checking, then it died, then I got the SMART error. No other drive I've worked
with has shown a SMART error even after failure! That said, I did see a SMART
error on the screen of a machine at my son's school last week when preparing
for Code Club - I've no idea whether this was a pre-emptive warning as
intended, or a 'whoops, too late' message ;)

There are two key reasons for my distrust of the traditional HD. Firstly is the
Fujitsu incident some years ago, where they had a major failure issue due to,
iirc, a supplier supplying poor quality adhesive. This took them right out of
the IDE hard drive market, although they seem to still have an interest in high
end SCSI last time I looked. Then there's the nosedive in the quality of Maxtor
drives just before Seagate bought them. Ironically I moved to Seagate drives
back then, and when Seagate bought them I moved on due to a concern that
Seagate drives would be being made in the old Maxtor factories!

Having worked with shock and vibration testing of hard drives many years ago I
am also cautious of capacity. These new 1TB and above drives make me nervous