Re: [Hampshire] Steam

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Steam
Hi Paul,

On 7 October 2013 18:03, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> Is there anyone out there using Steam on Linux? I've finally put my Humble
> Bundle Steam keys on there and am having a good play. I didn't realise how many
> games I had, but some of the independent games are much more to my liking than
> the big budget ones.

Yeah, the Humble Bundles have greatly increased my game collection for
very low cost. Great value for money.

> What I haven't managed to get working is Big Picture mode, and I was wondering
> if anyone else had.

Yup, on 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 on Intel i7 CPU and nVidia GPU with the
binary driver..

I also installed steam-login which allows you to login directly to big
picture mode without starting a desktop.Works well.

https://github.com/thor27/steam-login/

Like this:-

http://popey.com/~alan/2013-10-07-194754_1920x1080_scrot.png

> For reference this is
> Ubuntu 12.04 with dual AMD/ATI Radeon graphics cards.

What if you disable one card?

> As an aside, if anyone wants to link up on there I'm whaletales. It would be
> nice to be eligable for the Steam Box trial, and having managed to get Bit
> Picture working on the Windows boot with a controller I just need a few more
> friends to move from no chance to miniscule chance - all together now... aw! :)

:) I'm popeydc on steam, feel free to add me too :)

Cheers,
Al.