Re: [Hampshire] Steam

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Steam
** Alan Pope <alan@???> [2013-10-07 19:51]:
> On 7 October 2013 18:03, Paul Tansom <paul@???> wrote:
> > Is there anyone out there using Steam on Linux? I've finally put my Humble
> > Bundle Steam keys on there and am having a good play. I didn't realise how many
> > games I had, but some of the independent games are much more to my liking than
> > the big budget ones.
>
> Yeah, the Humble Bundles have greatly increased my game collection for
> very low cost. Great value for money.

Indeed, my eldest's eyes nearly popped out when he saw had 110 games on there
(sadly only 74 Linux ones, but that's still pretty good going and I think some
are Linux just not on Steam if I double check). I've just started playing A
Virus Named TOM - almost old school and allowed me to get my "Launch and play a
game using a gamepad in Big Picture mode" badge :)

> > What I haven't managed to get working is Big Picture mode, and I was wondering
> > if anyone else had.
>
> Yup, on 64-bit Ubuntu 13.10 on Intel i7 CPU and nVidia GPU with the
> binary driver..
>
> I also installed steam-login which allows you to login directly to big
> picture mode without starting a desktop.Works well.
>
> https://github.com/thor27/steam-login/
>
> Like this:-
>
> http://popey.com/~alan/2013-10-07-194754_1920x1080_scrot.png

Yup, that's what I've had running on the Windows boot, although there's an odd
overspill of something onto the second screen. It isn't part of the interface
or game, but is definately Steam related. I'm only on a 4:3 screen though, so
that may be something to do with it.

> > For reference this is
> > Ubuntu 12.04 with dual AMD/ATI Radeon graphics cards.
> >

> What if you disable one card?

Hadn't thought of that, but with the hassle I had getting both cards working in
the first place - hmm. A nice large, new, widescreen monitor would be nice,
then I may be satisfied without dual screen - possibly ;) I may try it though,
I've been working towards a proper reinstall with 64bit, and I'm as good as
ready if I can just spare the time (and a new HD would make the whole process
easier), so if I'm planning to do that, but holding off until 13.10 I've got a
few days to work with (or get sidetracked by something more pressing and less
fun!).

> > As an aside, if anyone wants to link up on there I'm whaletales. It would be
> > nice to be eligable for the Steam Box trial, and having managed to get Bit
> > Picture working on the Windows boot with a controller I just need a few more
> > friends to move from no chance to miniscule chance - all together now... aw! :)
> >

> :) I'm popeydc on steam, feel free to add me too :)

Wakey, wakey, already done!

** end quote [Alan Pope]