Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013, Tim Brocklehurst wrote:

> Hmm, I pay ?25 a month (roughly) and am on a 2 year contract. That's ?600 for
> the contract and includes the S3 phone (approx ?400-?450 new a little while
> ago). Would I buy the phone and add a sim, saving ?100 or more? No. ?25 a
> month is much easier to live with; and that's quite a significant point. Most
> people will buy a phone and contract together.

Yes, and I think that is part of the problem with the Edge, without
support from the mainstream providers it will struggle to sell in
sufficient numbers.

This is exactly the problem the original Motorola Droid faced in Europe.
It sold very well in the US where most of the big carriers offered it on
contract, but none of the European carriers picked it up so you could only
buy it sim free here and sales in Europe were consequently almost
non-existent.

It doesn't matter if the device is great value for money, if it isn't
affordable to the man in the street it probably won't sell in volume :(

Andy