Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: sam, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target
On Monday 26 Aug 2013 12:25:22 Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Sunday 25 Aug 2013 21:11:58 Alan Pope wrote:
> > On 25 August 2013 14:46, Simon Whitehead <liquidigital@???> wrote:
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23793457
> > > Is any mobile phone worth $625, $675, $695 or $725.
> >
> > I paid £429 for my phone nearly two years ago.
>
> I recently spend a similar amount. Any gadget is worth what people are
> willing to pay for them, and most people end up paying that sort of money
> for a phone, it's just spread out over two years so they have a very
> distorted view of the price of a smartphone.
>
> Not being tied into a two year contract makes it worth buying the phone
> SIM free IMO.

Hmm, I pay £25 a month (roughly) and am on a 2 year contract. That's £600 for
the contract and includes the S3 phone (approx £400-£450 new a little while
ago). Would I buy the phone and add a sim, saving £100 or more? No. £25 a
month is much easier to live with; and that's quite a significant point. Most
people will buy a phone and contract together.

Quite often, being tied to a multi-year contract isn't actually a problem for
a lot of people; unless you're getting a bad deal or the coverage is poor in
your area, and both of these are getting better with time.

Tim B.

--
Hampshire Linux User Group Chairman