Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target
On 26 August 2013 13:28, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:
> Yes, and I think that is part of the problem with the Edge, without support
> from the mainstream providers it will struggle to sell in sufficient
> numbers.

The Edge wouldn't have sold in any numbers. The *only* way to get one
was to back the campaign to the relevant level. There was no intention
to continue selling the Edge through retail channels (or otherwise)
after the campaign finished.

> It doesn't matter if the device is great value for money, if it isn't
> affordable to the man in the street it probably won't sell in volume :(

The Edge needed 40K people to back it to the relevant level to gain
enough money to actually make it. The intention was that there might
be another crowd-funding campaign "Edge 2" a year or so later, with
the original backers of the Edge maybe having first refusal for
upgrade, or having input on changes for the next generation. It seemed
like a great idea to me, allowing people to actually have input on the
next gen device.

But it was not to be.

Cheers,
Al.