Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target

Author: Peter Collins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target
On Sunday, 25 August 2013, Simon Whitehead wrote:

> Is any mobile phone worth $625, $675, $695 or $725.

I think this statement would be echoed by the majority of mobile phones
users, however they don't know how much they pay for the handsets because
the costs are hidden in tariffs. I know having spent a good few hours
working it out that if you can afford to buy a handset it is a hell of a
lot cheaper to do so out right.

My wife has an iPhone and when we brought it I calculated buying the
handset outright and choosing a cheap pay as you go worked out nearly £400
cheaper over the length of the nearest tariff which included it free/cheap
handset. Of course not everyone can afford to do this but there are loans
cheaper then mobile tariffs and I'm amazed how many people have expensive
handsets, including kids in the playground at my children's primary school.

However I do think Ubuntu edge will struggle without a carrier backing it
in this way.

There is also a problem trying to do alike for like
comparison, I understand it the edge is more then a mobile phone. I for one
have been waiting years to be able to dock my mobile device onto a keyboard
and screen, this would work perfectly in our environment at work which is
now 90%VDI.

Rgds

Peter