Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu Edge crowdfunding drive misses target
On 25 August 2013 14:46, Simon Whitehead <liquidigital@???> wrote:
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23793457
> Is any mobile phone worth $625, $675, $695 or $725.

I paid £429 for my phone nearly two years ago. I get a lot of use out
of it. I personally hoped the Edge was going to be my next phone. It
has the design, spec and software I want. Shame it didn't hit the
target.

> Crowdsourcing is this a great way of market testing or letting the mad run
> the madhouse?!

I have backed numerous crowdfunding campaigns. These range from a 3D
printer to charities, clothing, books, films, and various hardware
projects. I find them an exciting way to back a project.

A by-product of all crowdfunding campaigns (not just the Edge) is to
test the market. If you can't get funding for your project then
perhaps there's not enough market for it, or maybe you mismanaged the
project, or perhaps there's some other reason.

Many have speculated on why the Edge failed to get funding, but I
don't think anyone has one single concrete answer.

Cheers,
Al.