Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Pete
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 05:34:04PM +0100, Peter Alefounder wrote:

> ?

snip!
?

> Is there a web site that lists boards that are good for Linux? Or,
> can someone make a recommendation? So far, searching with Google has
> done nothing but make me think that getting/building a computer that
> runs Linux is becoming more difficult.

There's an HCL on Linux Questions - that's probably where I'd start if I
was looking for that kind of info.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/

Hi,

In my (limited) experience the slightly older hardware should work pretty much out-the-box, the problems occur when trying to use the latest & greatest hardware! Graphics cards for example I have found that they will work (perhaps not at he highest possible resolution) before installing the specific driver (then the resolution is sorted out) so if you fear installing a system and having no monitor output to work from, this has never happened to me (yet)!

Checking the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) is a good idea, but as with most linux documentation, it is community driven, and we are all bad at updating the docs, the fun is in the software and problem solving! Not re-writing the docs, so it may be a bit out of date!

I am in the middle of moving house at the mo, but I am almost certain I have a old PCI graphics card (not sure about s-video) just dont ask me to lay my hands on it now ;) When I am sorted out I will look and if it meets your needs you can have it!

I can also recommend Novatech over the years they have been very helpful, and although they do not officially support Linux (too many distros to keep track of I was told once) they are very knowledgeable and have never given me duff advise!

That Portswood Computers price seems a bit on the high side to me, but if you like the local aspect of having them on your doorstep might be worth the few pounds extra! (smaller companies will always struggle to match larger ones for price, but tend to be better on the service front)

I wish you luck and if you still need that card in a couple of weeks remind me and i will dig it out and let you know the specs!

Peter Smout