Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Peter Alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade
On 15/08/2013 17:14, Peter Alefounder wrote:
> ... am copying everything to SD cards (slowly, over a USB
> 1.1 connection). I already have back-ups of all the really important
> files anyway.

You can get new PCI Ethernet cards for under a tenner, or probably
scrounge one somewhere.

I've been following this thread with interest,

In the past I always upgraded machines, but recently it seems nothing
much carries forward. IDE has gone to SATA, I/O has all gone USB, RAM
has changed, CPUs have all changed. For the last couple of rebuilds, the
only thing salvageable from the main PC itself has been the case. I
still have a PS2 keyboard on one machine. It isn't so long ago that I
finally disposed of an old AT 486. My monitors I finally disposed of
when I voluntarily changed to LCDs, mostly for space though the lower
power consumption was a plus.

I nearly posted comments like that a the start of the thread, but waited
in case I'd 'missed a trick' (Jamie's, perhaps).

FWIW, I've started using ITX and micro-ATX machines for many jobs. Where
I don't need raw power, these are really good and very low energy,
though ITX carries a price premium. My main fileserver is a 1GHz
fanless ITX with two 2.5" 500bG drives, that takes a total power
somewhere around 15W. The case fan sometimes starts on particularly warm
days. Most of my installs are now done from a memory stick, so most
machines no longer ave any CD/DVD drive. Backups are done automatically
by a micro-ATX in the garage by backuppc over a WiFi link.

http://linitx.com/category/systems/51/51

Gordon.

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.