Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Peter Alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade
On Monday 12 Aug 2013 18:01:41 Peter Alefounder wrote:
> So, I am thinking of upgrading my system. I would certainly want a
> new main board, and I understand that means a new processor as well.

It depends a bit on whether you have time or money to spend, and what sort of
spec you are after. If you are not doing anything wildly esoteric, and you
wish to spend the money and keep the time; then I would suggest buying an off-
the-shelf machine with an Intel I3 (or AMD A4) or better processor.

I would then connect the two machines together using a network and transfer
all your data onto the new machine.

As for storage:
Are the ZIP disks really still necessary? or could you move to newer (and more
available) media? (eg. SD card or USB stick).

Upgrading mouse and keyboard need not be expensive, but that is down to
personal preference.

Cheers,

Tim B.
--