Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Recommendations sought for system upgrade

Daniel, thanks for your comments. They are indeed helpful and
confirm what I thought would be the case: my current system is just
too old to be compatible with anything new.

Daniel Llewellyn <diddledan@???> said:
> at least they're not leaking out of the top, and burning with the
> heat and air,

not yet, anyway.

> your mouse might be ps/2 as might your keyboard,

Mouse is USB (but came with an adaptor plug for ps/2), keyboard is
PS/2. If I must have a new keyboard, so be it. Scanner is USB.

>Zip drive will likely be an issue - if it's IDE (as your current
> motherboard is IDE-based, then I suspect this is the case, though
> you might have an internal USB connection) then you need to ensure
> you get a board that has an IDE connector, same goes for the hard
> disc;

No internal USB, it is all IDE, so the above is valuable advice. It
really would make things easier to keep the existing hard disk. I
will make sure I have IDE or a board that will provide an IDE
connection.

RAM: I did mean 2 x 500MB, 1 GB in total, which was a lot in 2002 -
not now! So that is out of date as well. I'm not surprised.

> with the amount of upgrading you'll need to do to replace your
> motherboard, then buying a new system is certainly an option,
> though I prefer self-build for desktop PCs

Thought so! The shop I got the parts from, m2 on Shirley High Road,
Southampton, vanished years ago. Not sure where to get such bits
now, so it might be easier for me to buy a complete system, which
would also solve the problem of getting a new operating system.

> I hope this helps, and that others chip in with their views. My
> opinions above are just opinions and you are well advised to talk
> with people besides just me to get a "feel" for what's what :-).

It certainly does help, and I will indeed take other opinions into
account. A "feel" for the matter is just what I want at the moment.

Tim Brocklehurst said:
> I would then connect the two machines together using a network and
> transfer all your data onto the new machine

Existing machine has no network card, so that's not easy to do. All
important files are backed up on SD cards, so if I have to I could
manage without zip and the existing disk but would prefer to retain
them if it is not too much trouble.

Supposing I had a new system on a new disk, would any problems arise
from having an old system on the old disk? Am I right in thinking
that I can set the machine to only boot off the new disk? Likewise,
any problem from having a /home on both disks?

Regards,
Peter Alefounder.